Between the squawking Thames seagulls by day and the wailing sirens by night, London is a city that is never quiet. Any time of day or night there is something going on somewhere, which can just as exciting as overwhelming at times. After touring the V&A and browsing Harvey Nichols, I made my way to Hyde Park. What a relief this spacious green area was! I immediately felt more relaxed in the cool breeze, shining sun and shade trees. Getting away from the hot, smelly concrete streets and into the green park truly was a breath of fresh air. There are many paths to use to walk around the park, and to the Serpentine, which is a pond that people can use for boating, swimming, fishing, or just relaxing. A recent addition is the Senior's Playground, this area is designed as a playground for older people, and includes fun items for strength training and core stability. This park does have something to offer for every age group. There are lounge chairs that can be rented for as little as a pound. I strolled through the park, with two attractions to visit in mind.

The first was the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain. This fountain was opened in July 2004 by Her Majesty The Queen. The gates have a photo of Princess Diana's face, not in a posed smile, but laughing in a carefree way. The fountain is a large circle in the ground, designed to look like a glistening necklace when viewed from above. My favorite part about the fountain is that while being reverent to the purpose, visitors are encouraged to sit and rest and dip their feet or hands into the water. What a novel idea! I always wondered why more fountains are not this way. What good is having beautiful, crystal clear, cold running water just to tease viewers on a hot day? Children, tourists, families and even business men in suits, rolled up their pants to enjoy the fountain.
The second spot I wanted to check out was Speaker's Corner. I made the walk across the park to the area where the pulpit stands. Anyone can get up there and talk about anything. Hecklers are encouraged to start dialogue. Unfortunately, when I got there no one was speaking. I hear Sunday's are good days to go, so hopefully I will make it back there sometime this month.
Yet another place I didn't make it to this time around. Sounds lovely.
ReplyDelete